Isn't it enough that winter brings crappy weather and less daylight, does it have to wreak havoc on our skin too? The cold and wind and the decreased humidity caused by maintaining the house at a livable temperature all rob our skin of moisture. Add in the paleness caused by shorter hours with less daylight and I could be mistaken for an overweight Gollum...
So, if you suffer like me with winter skin issues, read on. If you don't- you're dead to me. Kidding. Maybe.
Tips on How to Fight Back Against Dry Winter Skin
1. Turn down the water temperature: I know, I know... nothing feels better on a cold winter day than a steaming hot shower (or bath, if that's your preference). Don't kill the messenger but that hot water is causing the moisture in your skin to abandon ship, leaving you with dry, flaky skin. So turn down the water temp and your skin will thank you
2. Only wash your face once a day: Repeatedly washing your face will strip it of moisture - once a day is enough and it's best if you use lukewarm water and avoid using astringents (astringents use alcohol to absorb oil and will dry out your skin so save them for the heat and humidity of summer).
3. Stay Hydrated: If you are dehydrated then so is your skin so drink up, Buttercup! Water is the best option as it will help replenish the moisture in your skin.
4.Gentle exfoliation is the way to go: During cold weather months, it's best to avoid abrasive exfoliants like sugar or salt scrubs. These can add to irritation and dry your skin out even more. It's best to look for gentle exfoliants- goat milk soap is a natural exfoliant because it contains alpha hydroxy acids which help slough off dead skin cells.
5. Use a humidifier: When the weather gets cold, the thermostat goes up and the air inside gets drier and drier, right along with your skin. Using a humidifier will replenish the moisture in the air and help your skin.
6. Moisturize- a LOT: Above all else, moisturize, moisturize, MOISTRURIZE! In the winter, the thicker the better when it comes to moisturizers. Slather it on and do it often. It's best if it is an oil based moisturizer as this will help soothe dry skin and seal the moisture into your skin. Check out our lotion bars- they are a great option for helping dry skin!
By making these simple adjustments to your daily routine can rid you of dry, irritated winter skin and help you feel better inside and out. You will feel less like Gollum and more like